FSB Small Business of the Year 2010

Search This Blog

Thursday, 27 September 2012

A flea in the ear

There’s little doubt that fleas are very unwelcome guests on our pets or in our homes. As is the case with worms, your pet is likely to be at risk of flea infestation if you do not treat it with an appropriate product on a regular basis. And it’s not just the issue of fleas on your pet, if you spot adult fleas on your cat or dog, it is really only the beginning of the problem and most likely signifies that, eggs, larvae and pupae are already in the home.

Unfortunately the flea lifecycle doesn’t just involve the pet, it is also prevalent within the animal’s environment. Indeed, adult fleas on your pet only represent 5% of the problem, the remaining 95% (eggs, larvae and pupae) are in bedding, carpets, cracks and crevices in floors or furniture.

Most cats and dogs will suffer with flea infestation at some point in their lives so be sure to ask us for the best advice, treatment and prevention regimes to keep your pet and home flea-free.

Thursday, 20 September 2012

Allesly Park Clean Up 2012

Keeping pets in any environment, urban or rural, requires a degree of consideration to ensure that your pet isn’t a nuisance or danger to other members of society. Following a few simple rules helps to ensure that your pet, whatever the species, can live happily alongside us humans.

• Leave only paw-prints; if you exercise your pet in public spaces, be sure to pick up the faeces which can carry disease. Most busy spaces will have ‘poo bins’ but if not, collect in a bag and dispose of safely in your dustbin.

• Respect others; Not everyone is an animal lover, for a variety of reasons people can be are scared of pets of all shapes and sizes. When you are exercising your pet, be considerate of those in the park or on the path. If someone appears nervous, keep your pet under control and step aside letting them pass.

• Respect other people’s property; this is especially true in rural environments where public footpaths run across private land. Always keep your pet on a lead, and the absolute golden rule – close gates behind you. A gate that is not properly closed can see livestock and people being put at tremendous danger.

With poo in mind have you heard about the big Clean Up in Allesley Park, in conjunction with Channel 4 TV. The community need as many people as possible in Allesley Park, with their dogs, as possible on Saturday 13th October from 10am. Watch the local press and our website www.broadlanevets.co.uk for updates, and further information.